Monday, May 19, 2008

Forgotten recipe

This is a recipe that was in Andrew's missionary cookbook. I used to make it a few years ago and then I kind of forgot about it. We were out of bread yesterday and I remembered this. It made me remember how much I loved it, it is among my favorite of breads and not too hard to make, and I have never had it turn out bad. It is kind of a sweet bread, but we eat it with everything. I have had a couple people ask me for the recipe so I decided to post it.

SWISS BREAD

1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter/margarine (I would suggest using butter)
2 pkgs. yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water
2 eggs beaten
5 c. flour

Let raise 1 hour, knead down let raise again. Cut into three pieces and braid into bread pan. Bake @ 325-350 F for 1 hour. Butter top of loaf when you take it out of the oven.

This is all the instructions it comes with but like I said I have made this many times and never messed it up. I would suggest making this into two loaves because it makes a lot, and I bake them on a cookie sheet instead of a loaf pan, but I am sure that it would turn out fine in loaf pans also. I just make it that way because that's the way Andrew makes it. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good recipe! I still can't get over the fact that you know how to make no bake cookies...those are the best!

OAN (on another note)...you have awesome taste in music. You have lots of our favs on your blog player.

Your beta fish is doing good, he is orange now (not sickly looking), I think he was just stressed out in Walmart.

Do you want to come over when the boys go to bed one night this week and craft the fish bowl planter? Let me know! We can have a girly craft hour or something :-)

949-823-9329

Carl and Amber said...

This was awesome bread!!

Rena said...

I made this bread yesterday and it is SO delicious. I have to try to refrain from eating an entire loaf in one sitting! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Rena said...

I used this bread to make french toast yesterday morning. It was the best french toast ever! I think I should only make this bread for special occasions because I'm pretty sure I could eat an entire loaf without any problems.

Andrew and Melissa said...

I know that I could easily eat the whole loaf. I made it twice in about a weeks time and decided I better take a break before I make it again, otherwise I would be in big trouble.