Sunday, April 6, 2008

Enjoying Conference Weekend


Before having kids I never realized how much they get in the way of you doing pretty much anything for longer than five minutes. This includes talking on the phone, paying bills, doing dishes, making dinner, playing games of any kind and of course listening in church. I don't think Andrew and I have really been able to listen to conference since Parker was born. Luckily this conference weekend was a little different, the boys slept for both of the afternoon sessions and were pretty good during the morning sessions. I realized how much I enjoy watching Conference and was surprised when the two hours flew by, as opposed to when I was a kid and would count down the minutes until it was over.

Carter also seemed to realize that conference was special. Last night after blessing the food for dinner Carter said, "Thank you for conference Daddy!" I thought it was very sweet, but us watching it and him knowing it was important sure didn't persuade him to want to watch it. While getting ready to watch the last session he said to us "Conference sure is a long movie." And when given the choice to watch it or take a nap the clear winner both times was taking a nap.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to be counseled by our church leaders twice a year and hope that in the future the boys will have the desire to watch and will enjoy Conference as well.

2 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

I know how you feel - I couldn't WAIT for the afternoon session so both of the boys would be napping!!! It'll get better someday, right?

Abby said...

Carter is so fun. His comments made us laugh.
We weren't as lucky with the naps...thank goodness for the Ensign and internet!
Ammon and Abby