Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Carter updates


Since Andrew and I aren't able to afford preschool, at least not here in Irvine (the cheapest we have found is $265 a month!) we have been trying to teach Carter from home. We were able to get a few preschool books from the book store and in about two weeks time he has gone from only being able to identify a few letters and numbers to being able to identify all his numbers and letters and telling us the sounds for most of them. He also knows all his shapes and colors. I am not trying to brag or anything I am just really impressed with all he has retained in such a short amount of time. I was worried about him being ready for kindergarten, but I think if he keeps this up he will do just fine.



Carter has also recently shown quite the interest in the baby and talks about him all the time. Last week we made the mistake of telling Carter the name we are thinking about for the baby. He now calls the baby by his name and tells everyone about "Baby Tristan in my mom's tummy."

This is a conversation we had this morning.

Carter: "Mommy, I am so excited for Tristan to come."

Me: "Yeah, me too."

Carter: "I am going to take such good care of him."

Me: "What are you going to do for him?"

Carter: "I am going to give him bath's and give him hugs and I will let him sit on my lap when we go for rides in the van. I love Baby Tristan!"

6 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

I know what you mean - preschool is a ripoff!! Keegan doesn't go either, but we have a little 'school' time each day when kayden takes his morning nap. Sometimes we will count cheerios and try simple adding, but mostly we use this book my sister in law gave us for christmas - it's a book called "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" it is AMAZING. Keegan is about 1/2 way through and is reading short sentences. You can find it on Amazon.com! We love it, plus it makes me feel good that I am doing something to help him learn!

Andrew and Melissa said...

Wow! That is really impressive. I will have to check it out.

Abby said...

We love Carter!

The Hardy's said...

Carter is so cute. If my opinion counts for anything, I like the name Tristan.

Carl and Amber said...

Erin McPhie uses that same reading book, and her kids are amazing readers. Emily was reading any word in front of her by the age of 4. Good job to Carter...that is a lot of learning in a short time!

The Pooles said...

Way to go Carter! I am so impressed with how quickly he is growing and how much he is learning. He is such a cute kid!