Monday, July 16, 2012

Practicality

 A few months ago my Grandparents came down from Utah for a visit. While taking a tour around our house my Grandma said to me, "This house could sure use some decorating." I groaned internally and thought, "Did my Grandma just tell me my house had no style?" She was right, of course. Love you Grandma! I have never been one to spend money on non essentials. I must admit that 95% of the decorative things that we own have either been given to us or we have gotten them for free. I even have fake plants in my house. I know they are out of date and tacky, but I like the look of green leafy things in the house and for the life of me I cannot keep a live plant without killing it thoroughly. So the fake plants stay.
But if Grandma thought my house needed help, I would give it some sort of effort. So I set out to make my home more stylish. While perusing the isle of the home decor section of a near by department store, a beautiful vase caught my eye so I checked the price tag. What?! You want me to pay how much for that? That could feed my family for a week! It better do something spectacular, like grow it's own flowers spontaneously according to the season.  I did not buy the vase, nor did I buy anything else.
 I know that there are ways to get around spending lots of money on things like vases or picture frames or artwork. Things like checking my local goodwill, or making my own. I am realizing that is probably the route I am going to have to take, but my motivation for spending countless hours doing those things sounds exhausting. So for now if you come to my house, come expecting the plain and simple. I'm okay with it.

4 comments:

Abby said...

I haven't decorated much for the same reason. Why spend money on something that seems unnecessary. I also hate to buy things just for looks when they have no meaning to me...I figure that as life goes on I'll continue to accumulate things that are meaningful that I can decorate with.

I also have a problem with buying things that are trendy, because I don't want to re-decorate my house every 5 years--not when it costs that much!

However, that being said, we decided to spend money on doing some decorating for our living room. (Ammon said, "maybe we should hire someone to decorate our living room.--and I'm like, "HEY! I can do it! I just haven't spent any money on it!) The money didn't go too far, but it really has helped our home feel much more comfortable. I've been really surprised at the difference.

Carl and Amber said...

I agree completely!!!!!! For now, all my decorations will be pictures of the family.

Abby said...

oh and I'm completely comfortable with plain and simple (it goes really well with four young boys).

Hope said...

Oh, Melissa, you are funny!
TJ Maxx and Ross and Marshalls sometimes have REALLY cute affordable things.
I'm sure Pinterest can give you some fabulous easy DYI ideas too.