Sunday, November 17, 2013

Levi's Birth Story

I really like to document the birth of my children. I think bringing a baby into the world is one of the most amazing experiences ever and it is something I like to remember best I can. The birth of baby Levi started off with lots of days of contractions and false alarms. In fact I had been dilated to 4cm for a full week before I had him. The day before Levi was born I was having contractions so regularly that I called Andrew to tell him to come home early so we could go have a baby. Andrew takes the bus home but his boss was so nervous the bus would make him late and miss the delivery that he drove him the 40 minutes it takes to get home and then drove all the way back to work. I felt so bad because shortly after Andrew got home my contractions pretty much stopped. I was so frustrated to say the least. That night I woke up at 3:00 in the morning with contractions as close as 3 minutes apart. So I woke up Andrew and we left around 5:00 am to go to the hospital. They checked me in to triage, but shortly after we got to the hospital my body decided to play another trick on me and my contractions pretty much stopped. They checked me and I was still dilated to a 4. They didn't want to check me in until I had progressed more so we left and went home and ate breakfast but found ourselves back at the hospital and hour and a half later. This time I was dilated to 6cm and my cervix 90% thinned so they checked me in! Finally, this was actually happening!
I wanted to deliver him naturally again, it's funny how easily you forget how hard that really is. After a few hours I was ready to be done, but I pushed through. Because of the baby's position I was having a lot of back labor and Andrew was such a life saver by putting counter pressure on my back. So so grateful he was there and so helpful. I was also grateful for a tentative nurse and doctor who knew I had quick labors and stayed close by so that when I felt that undeniable urge to push around 10:45 am they were right there and ready for me. I pushed for close to 10 min. Which is longer than I have had to push for my last few babies. They kept telling me to keep pushing and I remember thinking he had to be out by now, but because of his position he wasn't coming out very easily. I am just so glad I was able to have him naturally and that he was head down. This baby was such a mover and was floating around all over the place the last few weeks of my pregnancy.
 Me in my super flattering hospital robe in triage hoping they will let me stay.

 In labor in between contractions

 Minutes after Levi was born


 Our 5 little boys. Are we crazy or what? Well, we may be crazy but we are also very blessed.




We are so in love with this beautiful baby boy and are so glad he has come to our family.

5 comments:

mikeandjess said...

He is so stinkin cute!! You guys make the cutest kids!! Way to go having him naturally!! I couldn't. Also I went in twice with false alarms and was at a 4 for 2 weeks and 75% thinned.

Carl and Amber said...

Props to you!!! You look amazing!

Abby said...

What a handsome boy! He certainly belongs.

How wonderful to be able to go naturally and that you were able to wait for him to come on his own time-- even though he sounds like a bit of a tease! :)

You have a beautiful family and such handsome boys- you are blessed!

Thanks for the details. We love you and we're praying for Levi and your family. Glad all is well!

Rena said...

We are SO happy for you guys! I can't believe you only had to push for 10 minutes (and that's long for you!). With Jack I had to push for 30 minutes--for the rest it was at least an hour (2 hours for Kate). You are amazing!

AaronsherriHatch said...

You are a trooper Melissa congratulations!